Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Darjeeling Limited

Day 26 - 1/26/09 - Movie #27

BEFORE: Staying up late again, but it's a short movie. I dug "Rushmore", so I'll give this a spin. Too bad the cable channel didn't run "Hotel Chevalier", the short film that played in the theatres before this feature, starring Natalie Portman as Jason Schwartzman's ex!

THE PLOT: Three brothers who have not spoken in a year set off on a train voyage across India with a plan to find themselves and bond with each other. Their "spiritual quest", however, veers rapidly off-course.

AFTER: Well, again I found a film that's a little short on story, but I think the appeal lies in the way the three brothers talked and interacted, and formed a family unit. It's weird to see Owen Wilson as the oldest brother, the one in charge. But it worked well as a road movie, a type of cathartic spiritual journey. I found myself thinking about this movie the next day, finding more meaning in some of the small details, so it affected me in a good way. Though it's a slice-of-life sort of situation, I think there are some larger issues about family and death that really made an impact.

RATING: 8 out of 10 sweet limes

No comments:

Post a Comment