Monday, March 23, 2009

Shopgirl

Day 42 - 2/11/09 - Movie #41

BEFORE: Continuing with Valentine's Week, I know this is about an older man who falls for a Saks shopgirl in L.A. And I know it was based on a novella by Steve Martin, whose movies I usually like.

THE PLOT: A complex love triangle between a bored salesgirl, a wealthy businessman and an aimless young man.

AFTER: Well, it was an unorthodox love triangle, since Claire Danes' character dates both Steve Martin and Jason Schwartzman's characters, but not at the same time. I don't think I've seen a movie focus on a situation like that before.
Steve Martin's character is divorced and can't figure out how to love, then comes to realize he only wants sex - whereas Schwartzman's character is young and inept, he wants mainly a sexual relationship at first, then gradually matures and figures out how to love someone. It's a nice structure, and avoids being a re-tread of "Rushmore".
I can't say I found Claire Danes appealing, since her character is sort of flat and cardboardish, allowing things to happen to her, rather than making them happen. I guess some people might be like that? The relationship break-up was appropriately melancholy, and felt quite sincere and believable - so Martin the writer must have drawn on some real experiences.

RATING: 6 out of 10 gloves

No comments:

Post a Comment