Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Lake House

Day 46 - 2/15/09 - Movie #45

BEFORE: Wrapping up Valentine's weekend, I've had a cold so I've been sleeping on the couch, just a few hours at a time, because I need to sleep sitting up, and I can't do that in the bed. I'll watch one more romance flick before switching gears. I've been putting this one off because I think I'm gonna hate it. Time travel and a chick flick probably go together like chocolate sauce and an onion.

THE PLOT: A lonely doctor who once occupied an unusual lakeside home begins exchanging love letters with its former resident, a frustrated architect. They must try to unravel the mystery behind their extraordinary romance.

AFTER: Yep, I was right. All I ask from a time-travel movie is that it makes some sense, at least within the rules of time-travel that it establishes. This movie makes ZERO sense - less than that, can a movie make negative sense? There's no explanation of HOW the communication works between 2004 and 2006 - is it the mailbox, the house, the dog? And are we seeing alternate timelines, different realities, or what? How can a character be dead at one point in the film, and then alive again later? If time travel were to be possible, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't work like this. And why not just try to contact each other in 2005 - you know, split the difference?
I'm missing the whole point, I'm sure - maybe it's appealing to women to imagine someone watching them from afar, ready to love them "someday", as a fantasy.

RATING: 2 out of 10 pawprints (and those are for the Paul McCartney song in the end credits, which I hadn't heard before...)

No comments:

Post a Comment