Thursday, March 26, 2009

Frequency

Day 47 - 2/16/09 - Movie #46

BEFORE: Watching "The Lake House" yesterday, which was just an abomination, made me long for a better movie about time travel + time paradoxes. However, since I played bi-weekly Team Trivia tonight, I didn't get home until 11 pm, didn't start watching this film until midnight, so I finished around 2 am on Tuesday. Barring any time-travel of my own, I may shortly be 2 days behind instead of 1.

THE PLOT: An accidental cross-time radio link connects father and son across 30 years. The son tries to save his father's life, but then must fix the consequences.

AFTER: I'm much more satisfied now, after watching a well thought-out thriller about communication between characters in two different times. I bought into the ham radio / Aurora Borealis gimmick more easily than the "magic mailbox" of "The Lake House". And an action movie was a much better framework for the time paradoxes than a romance flick was. This was so thrilling, so full of action, I was on the edge of my seat.
I knew the film would be about trying to save the father's life, but I didn't realize there would be so many twists along the way. Things sort of wrapped up a little too neatly at the end - like how did John get his girlfriend back? They never explained... But the bit about the father needing to quit smoking was a nice touch. Still, how long does any "happy ending" last? Am I being too cynical?

RATING: 8 out of 10 baseballs

1 comment:

  1. I saw this movie when it first came out. While it does have some plot holes it was really good and a cool concept. I especially liked the climactic moment near the end (although predictable). I actually got a little misty eyed at the end. First movie I've ever seen where the audience applauded at the end.

    ReplyDelete