Monday, November 2, 2009

The Comebacks

Day 306 - 11/2/09 - Movie #306

BEFORE: I should probably watch the serious football films before the parody one - but I've got another plan in mind. Heck, after "The Waterboy" I should have watched Sandler's remake of "The Longest Yard," but I don't have a copy of it, and no channel is running it, so it's not on my list...but this movie, starring the usually funny David Koechner is.


THE PLOT: The story of an out-of-luck coach, Lambeau Fields, who takes a rag-tag bunch of college misfits and drives them towards the football championships.

AFTER: Even though it's a spoof of films like "Friday Night Lights" and "Remember the Titans" which I haven't watched yet, I still found it funny. I think one can enjoy "Airplane!" without having seen all of the "Airport" movies. This is an attempt to poke fun at ALL football movies, and even movies about other sports, since there are digs at baseball and basketball also.

Yeah, the jokes are silly and more than a little obvious (the team they face is called "The Unbeatables"...) but at least they're funny, and silly-stupid is better than stupid-stupid, like "The Waterboy" was.

With Carl Weathers (last seen by me in "Little Nicky"), Melora Hardin, and cameos from Andy Dick, Kerri Kinney-Silver, Will Arnett, and Jason + Randy Sklar. Also cameos from some real sports stars like Dennis Rodman, Lawrence Taylor and Bill Buckner (have we forgiven him yet?)

RATING: 6 out of 10 shoulder-pads

No comments:

Post a Comment