Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Waterboy

Day 305 - 11/1/09 - Movie #305

BEFORE: October gives way to November, and November means Election Day, Thanksgiving and football, right? I'll try to get to politics later on in the month - but before I started my horror-film chain, I was watching Adam Sander films. I know, the World Series is still being played, but since the Yankees are in it and not the Sox, I'm done with baseball and ready for football...


THE PLOT: A football team water boy discovers he has a unique tackling ability and becomes a member of the team.

AFTER: As usual, Sandler's character is mentally defective, and I just sort of felt that this whole movie suffered from some form of similar lack of intelligence. I can understand the whole underdog success-story thing - but are you telling me that the best tackler in football reads at a grade-school level? I mean, I suppose it's possible, but does it really create a character that I should be rooting for?

And does he have to live in a swamp, and have a mother who refers to everything she doesn't approve of as "the Devil!", and talk like a darn baby? It's just too much to swallow...

Kathy Bates and Henry Winkler should be better than this - doesn't Kathy Bates have an Oscar? And she's reduced to cooking up snake gumbo and playing badminton with a horse? Really?

I learned exactly nothing about football from this film - do teams even have "waterboys"? Or do they just use a cooler? Like with boxing films, I would appreciate a little something about the psychology of the game, the intricacies of different plays - not just "Idiot gets mad, and tackles really well..."

RATING: 3 out of 10 playbooks

3 comments:

  1. I watched this one quite a while after it's theaterical run, and from the quality of the film, I thought it was a low budget film. While I don't have anything against Adam Sandler, I don't go out of my way to watch his films. I would say this was the second best film of his career, and somewhat entertaining. The only question I have is, what else did the Fonz have to do??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the classic "Why People Hate Adam Sandler" movie. He sticks with what worked for him on SNL: mugging for the camera and using a weird voice. Which is boring in a 4-minute sketch but in a 90-minute movie leads to the defenestration of a $1000 HDTV.

    Why doesn't the lad try acting? It's so much easier on the facial muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "defenestration" is my favorite word of all time.

    Oh, I don't give a crap about the movie...

    ReplyDelete