Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Brink's Job

Day 71+72 - 3/12 + 3/13/09 - Movie #69

BEFORE: Yes, it took me 2 days to watch this movie, so now I'm 3 movies behind schedule. I worked late on Thursday, I didn't get home until 11:30 pm, so my Thurs. movie stretched into Friday, but I fell asleep and had to finish the movie on Friday night, after Amy's goodbye party #2.

THE PLOT: Tony and his gang successfully rob one of Brink's security cars, taking $30,000. Surprisingly their coup doesn't make the press. Curious Tony checks out their headquarters and finds out that their security is low beyond belief. Now a really big coup is prepared...

AFTER: I remember my dad watching this movie when I was a kid. Of course, he loves stuff about Boston history. That was before I knew who Peter Boyle and Paul Sorvino were. This film is an interesting look at a real theft, and the Boston characters that pulled it off - of course, this was back before DNA testing and other forensic innovations - a simpler time, and ultimately, a fairly simple movie.

RATING: 5 out of 10 bags of cash

1 comment:

  1. And part of the flick was filmed just a few mile from our childhood houses: at the Apple Tree Diner in Dedham.

    This was just on cable last night. It was a solid film but I dug two particular aspects:

    First, seeing Peter Falk subconsciously incorporating "Columbo-isms" into his performance. Or more accurately, seeing parts of his acting technique that come through in everything he does. I recognized the familiar "my character has reached the end of a long sequence of thoughts that have led him to a conclusion that he will be committed to for the whole rest of the story" gesture, for instance.

    And secondly, because so much of it was shot in real Boston-area locations, it's an interesting snapshot of a certain era. Not even "post-WWII Boston" but "Boston neighborhoods and establishments that hadn't changed much in the 25 years since the robbery."

    ReplyDelete