Thursday, June 3, 2010

Semi-Pro

Year 2, Day 155 - 6/4/10 - Movie #520

BEFORE: I inadvertently timed this well, because the NBA Finals started last night - though I admit to being surprised after finding out the Celtics and Lakers made the finals (the 80's are BACK!). Also, this wraps up my sports chain (for now), and yesterday I was "kidnapped" by my boss, brought to Yankee Stadium against my will, and forced to watch a Yankees/Orioles game. My first time in the new stadium, though I felt like I was behind enemy lines - I have to say the food at the new stadium is great, I had a pork sandwich and hush puppies from Brother Jimmy's BBQ (Jimmy and I have had our differences over the years, but his BBQ tastes great when eaten outdoors) and also a steak sandwich from Lobel's, with some killer dijon horseradish sauce.


THE PLOT: Jackie Moon, the owner-coach-player of the American Basketball Association's Flint Michigan Tropics, rallies his teammates to try and make their NBA dreams come true.

AFTER: Will Ferrell shines best when you just let him go, and the crazier the situation, the better. As the owner of the Flint Tropics, his character, Jackie Moon, has to improve both the team's record and the fan attendance figures, in order for his team to survive the merger of the ABA and the NBA. He comes up with all kinds of crazy stunts to increase the team's fan base, like a corn dog giveaway, a roller-skating stunt, and a wrestling match with a bear. As you might imagine, hijinx ensue.

But the team's record does improve after hiring a former NBA player named Monix (Woody Harrelson). What I liked about this movie is that the team actually improves once they start concentrating on the fundamentals of the game. (Something Phil Weston in "Kicking & Screaming" should have tried first, not last.)

There's lots of great 70's music in the film, from Sly & the Family Stone, the requisite "Pick Up the Pieces" from Average White Band, "Shining Star", "Lady Marmalade" and so on - but also two of my personal faves, "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy, and Deodato's disco remix of the "2001" theme (Also Sprach Zarathustra!)

I have to admit I liked this one, it's at least up there with "Talladega Nights" and "Blades of Glory", even if it's not as hilarious as "Anchorman". Jackie Moon is at least as much of an outrageous amalgam character as Ron Burgundy.

Also starring Andre Benjamin, Maura Tierney, Andy Richter, Will Arnett and a TON of comedian cameos: David Koechner, Rob Corddry, Matt Walsh, Tim Meadows, Jason Sudeikis, Ed Helms, Kristen Wiig, Andrew Daly. Plus Patti Labelle and Jackie Earle Haley!

RATING: 7 out of 10 afros

No comments:

Post a Comment