Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Run Fatboy Run

Year 2, Day 153 - 6/2/10 - Movie #518

BEFORE: Clearly, Turner Classic Movies is copying me, again. In the middle of my sports-themed week, they ran a day of movies that included "Rocky", "Hoosiers", "The Natural", and "Caddyshack". Perhaps I should have picked up "Hoosiers", in memory of Dennis Hopper, who had a role. But I'm trying to not let my list get any bigger. Anyway, on to tonight's film - running is a sport (isn't it?)


THE PLOT: Five years after jilting his pregnant fiancée on their wedding day, out-of-shape Dennis decides to run a marathon to win her back.

AFTER: It might seem like an odd choice to watch this right after the "Rocky" films - but you just can't do a training sequence in a film without direct references (raw eggs) or at least comparisons to the great Balboa-centric montages. Plus, both "Rocky V" and this film have a common theme, that of fathers trying to stay connected with their sons, so that was a nice coincidence.

Simon Pegg, so funny in "Hot Fuzz" and last year's "Star Trek", tones it down a bit here to play a British loser, but his comic timing is still impeccable. You want to root for a man who's down, but not necessarily out - he's only about 80% given up on life, and the trick is for him to find something to believe in, even if that turns out to just be himself.

So he decides to run a marathon, initially to compete with his baby mama's new boyfriend, but when that looks impossible, he decides to follow through to inspire his son, regain his self-respect, and help raise awareness about Erectile Dysfunction (the only charity he can find to sponsor him, 3 weeks before the race).

What serves Pegg well is British deadpan humor combined with snarkiness, and when compared to Hank Azaria's rich American twit, his comic foil, he's definitely the lesser of two evils. But what serves his character well is discipline - initially it's pointed out that his character has "never finished anything" - so where will he find the discipline to run a 26-mile race?

Obviously I won't spoil the ending - but I do know a few things about discipline. Or at least routine, I think there's a fine line between the two. Since I had the kidney stone in March, I changed my routine and managed to lose 20 pounds (though my recent roadtrip may have added a few back). I've still got a way to go - I now weigh what I did 3 years ago, but I'd like to weigh what I did 10 years ago.

And lest anyone say I lack discipline, I stand on my record, based on time served at my jobs, and even my attention to this movie project, Day 518 and counting.

Also starring Thandie Newton - and I'd swear I've seen that kid before, but he's got no other movie credits. Maybe he just looks like the youngest kid on "Little People, Big World". Directed by David Schwimmer, and co-written by Michael Ian Black.

RATING: 7 out of 10 spinning classes

No comments:

Post a Comment