Monday, August 24, 2009

Life

Day 236 - 8/24/09 - Movie #232

BEFORE: Let's see, I've watched prison dramas, and prison action films - what about prison comedies?

THE PLOT: The story of two criminals (Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence) who discover the value of life after being sentenced to life imprisonment.

AFTER: I think this is proof that, handled properly, you can make a good comedy out of just about anything. The story of two men framed for murder and spending most of their lives working at hard labor in a prison doesn't sound like the framework for a good comedy at first, but if you put the right actors in it, with good chemistry, it just might work. It's really the interplay between Murphy and Lawrence that sells it - when they bicker at each other, or laugh together, or try to kill each other, it all feels sincere.

Co-starring Bernie Mac (last seen by me in "Mr. 3000"), R. Lee Ermey (last seen by me in "Dead Man Walking"), Bokeem Woodbine (last seen 2 nights ago in "The Rock"), Clarence Williams III (last seen by me in "Against the Wall"), Ned Beatty (last seen by me in "Silver Streak"), Anthony Anderson (last seen by me in...umm..."Law & Order"), and with a cameo by Rick James (last seen by me on the set of a music video in 1988, but that's another story...)

RATING: 7 out of 10 pieces of cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment