Monday, February 27, 2012

The Accidental Tourist

Year 4, Day 58 - 2/27/12 - Movie #1,058

BEFORE: So, I didn't watch much of the Oscars last night - I didn't really feel it was urgent, since I'd only seen one nominated film ("Puss in Boots").  I used to have a much better track record with seeing the nominees, either on the big screen or "over the shoulder" of someone watching an Academy screener, but now it's just a way for me to learn about which movies I'll be watching a year from now.

I could have easily followed up "The English Patient" with "The King's Speech", due to the Colin Firth connection.  Or transitioned into other movies about war - but that seemed too easy.  I'm still in February mode and that means romance stories - and this one earned an Oscar for Geena Davis (last seen in "Stuart Little 2") back in 1989.  I can link from Willem Dafoe anyway, who was in "Auto Focus" with Ed Begley Jr. (last seen in "She-Devil"), who appears in this one.


THE PLOT: An emotionally distant writer of travel guides must carry on with his life after his son is killed and his marriage crumbles.

AFTER: I'm honestly not quite sure what to make of this film - it's a quirky little number about a bunch of quirky people.  The central character is a travel writer who hates to travel (but loves to correct people's grammar, which I admire).  And he's caught in a dilemma - should he reconcile with his ex-wife, or pursue a relationship with the cute + quirky dog trainer?  And, by extension, should he remain in a comfortable rut, or strike out and accomplish new things?

What, if anything, from this film can I latch on to?  I also enjoy my routines, and sometimes find it difficult to maintain contact with friends, or perform the expected social graces.  That's where being in a relationship can be beneficial - someone who's the right degree of crazy can shake you up when you are in a rut, and getting used to another person's way of doing things can keep you from getting locked into your own patterns.  Plus, people who have OCD (like Macon's sister) can function well if you put them to work organizing things - make them all file clerks or librarians and everyone will be happy.  Trust me on this one.

The symbolism is quite blatant, though - someone who travels a lot doesn't want to be tied down.  And people have baggage, both literal and figurative.  Yeah, we get it.  But I didn't really understand the ending scenes at all, what were they trying to say with the emphasis on that French boy?   No clue.

Also starring William Hurt (last seen in "Michael"), Kathleen Turner (last seen in "Marley & Me"), Bill Pullman (last seen in "Lucky Numbers"), David Ogden Stiers (last heard in "Teacher's Pet").

RATING: 3 out of 10 boarding passes

No comments:

Post a Comment