Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 Men and a Baby

Year 3, Day 170 - 6/19/11 - Movie #896

BEFORE: Yes, I skipped a day, but it's all part of the plan. My chain sort of came to an end with "MacGruber", I suppose I could have watched "Salt" but I want to hit a big movie for number #900 this week. Anyway, it worked out since my wife and I bought new iPhones, and I've been spending time setting up my phone, updating my contacts, and playing Sudoku on it. I can still link from "MacGruber", since Val Kilmer was in "Heat" with Tom Sizemore, who was in "Saving Private Ryan" with Ted Danson (an small cameo, but it counts).


THE PLOT: Three bachelors find themselves forced to take care of a baby left by one of the guy's girlfriends.

AFTER: Truthfully, I was thinking I might have seen this one before - rented it sometime during the late 80's or so. But since I didn't recognize the sub-plots at all, it's a fair bet that I haven't seen it, or its sequel.

Ted Danson's character is actually M.I.A. for the first half of the film - he plays an actor (wonder if that was a stretch) away on location when an ex-girlfriend drops by with his infant child, and wouldn't you know, he'd told his roommates to expect a "package" to arrive, and they confused it with the baby!

The real package turns out to be something illicit - I recall back in the 80's this sort of thing happened all the time, your friend would ask you to hold a package for them, and then it turned out your friend was a major player on the drug scene. And hilarity ensued! Geez, it's great that we can all laugh about it now, those of us who didn't end up behind bars at least.

The gimmick here is that three professional horndogs share an only-in-a-movie giant New York apartment, and there's a constant stream of women hopping in and out of their bedrooms (again, it was the 80's, and people were just starting to be extra careful about this sort of thing - and portraying safe sex in a movie was pretty much unheard of). Eventually one of the Romeo's actions were going to catch up with him, it's just too bad that his friends ended up holding the bag. Er, baby. And the bag.

The two friends learn the ins and outs of baby care - babies need to eat, babies need to be bathed, and babies need to be changed, and these things are portrayed in all their disgusting-ness. What's my motivation to have a child again?

Also starring Tom Selleck (last seen WAY back in "Mr. Baseball"), Steve Guttenberg (last seen in "Cocoon"), Nancy Travis, Margaret Colin, with cameos from character actors Philip Bosco, Paul Guilfoyle (last seen in "Mrs. Doubtfire"), Dave Foley (last seen in "Sky High") and Colin Quinn (last seen in "Grown Ups"). And an actress named Cynthia Harris, who you might recognize (if you grew up in the Boston area, as I did) as "Mrs. B." from a long-running commercial campaign for Bradlee's department stores.

RATING: 3 out of 10 sterilized nipples

No comments:

Post a Comment