Monday, May 9, 2011

Erin Brockovich

Year 3, Day 129 - 5/9/11 - Movie #859

BEFORE: Keeping with the business-woman theme, and sending out Birthday SHOUT-out #38 today to my favorite Ebenezer Scrooge, Albert Finney, born 5/9/1936, and last seen in "The Bourne Ultimatum". Happy 75th, Al!


THE PLOT: An unemployed single mother becomes a legal assistant and almost single-handedly brings down a California power company accused of polluting a city's water supply.

AFTER: I don't have much to say tonight, since the plot is so clear-cut. Power company bad, truth and justice good - what, did you think I'd side with the power company?

Always good to cross an Oscar-winning performance off my list - heck, it's good to cross an Oscar-nominated performance off the list. But do I judge the importance of the film, or how entertained I was (or wasn't) by it?

Juggling three kids and working overtime on research for a lawsuit - Erin makes that woman in "Baby Boom" look like a real slacker, doesn't she?

This film sort of covers some of the same ground as "Michael Clayton", and "A Class Action" - yes, I realize it might have been made first, but I'm seeing it after...

Starring Julia Roberts (last seen in "Valentine's Day"), Aaron Eckhart (last seen in "Thank You For Smoking"), Peter Coyote (last seen in "Jagged Edge"), Marg Helgenberger, Conchata Ferrell (last seen in "My Fellow Americans"), and character actor Tracey Walter.

RATING: 6 out of 10 push-up bras

No comments:

Post a Comment