Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Fistful of Dollars

Day 245 - 9/2/09 - Movie #241

BEFORE: I'll finish Clint Eastwood Week (and kick-off Westerns Week #2) with the trilogy of "Spaghetti Westerns" that made him famous - in which he plays the "Man With No Name". Sure, I could have watched "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" months ago, but I waited - since watching all 3 films in the proper order should be more satisfying.

THE PLOT: A wandering gunfighter plays two rival families against each other in a town torn apart by greed, pride, and revenge.

AFTER: I liked the story structure, with Eastwood's drifter bouncing between the two rival gangs, earning money from both to take out the other - I've never seen that idea before. But there were too many characters for me to keep track of. Ramon, Esteban, Chico - I couldn't keep track of all the gang members without a scorecard. Same with the women - Marisol and Consuela looked too similar for me to follow along.

I did doze off three times while trying to finish this - despite the help of Mountain Dew AND chocolate-covered espresso beans. Whether that reflects more on the movie or my poorly planned nocturnal viewing, I'm not sure. But it doesn't bode well for the next 2 movies.

However, Eastwood really rocks that poncho, and at least now I get the references in "Back to the Future III". But do I believe that a gunslinger can fire enough shots to take out 4 opponents before any of them can fire at him? Not really...

RATING: 4 out of 10 coffins

No comments:

Post a Comment