Monday, May 4, 2009

The Navigator (1924)

Day 125 - 5/5/09 - Movie #125

BEFORE: I'm sort of cheating by watching two short silent films each night, but it did help me catch up. And since I'll probably lose a week in July due to Comic-Con, I'd actually prefer to be ahead in the numbers at this point.

THE PLOT: Two spoiled rich people find themselves trapped on an empty passenger ship.

AFTER: Keaton plays a stuffed-shirt type here, which leads to a different set of comedy gags - like not knowing how to open a can of food in the ship's galley. Likewise, his lady friend doesn't know how to make coffee - I guess the servants always did that for her. Some of the physical gags here seem really contrived, though - as the nearly empty ship turns into a sort of haunted house at night. Or getting into a fencing battle with a swordfish, using another swordfish as a sword.

RATING: 5 out of 10 soggy playing cards

No comments:

Post a Comment