Saturday, October 11, 2014

Gaslight

Year 6, Day 281 - 10/8/14 - Movie #1,872

BEFORE: Wrapping up the Ingrid Bergman chain, this is the last film I'll watch for a couple of days because I've got New York Comic Con starting up tomorrow.  Since I need to be there early to open the booth and I'm usually the last one to leave the booth, that doesn't leave me much time for staying up late to watch movies.

THE PLOT:  Years after her aunt was murdered in her home, a young woman moves back into the house with her new husband. However, he has a secret that he will do anything to protect, even if it means driving his wife insane.

AFTER: I did watch this one on Wednesday, even though it took me until Saturday night to post this.  The long hours of Comic-Con got in the way of the posting.  I formulated opinions about this film, then got much too busy to express them.  Skipping a few days was always part of the plan however, I'll watch my next film on Sunday night after the convention is over (except for Monday's load-out, of course).  

I felt like this might be the most Hitchcock-like film that was not directed by Hitchcock himself.  The unsolved murder, one spouse driving the other one crazy, the audience suspecting a character of malfeasance long before the film finds a way to confirm it.  Oh, and the police who are mostly incompetent, until an upstart detective has some inside knowledge that the other people who work at Scotland Yard couldn't hope to guess at, so only he can see the big picture and solve the crime.  No one else seems to be aware that a crime is even taking place.  

Also starring Charles Boyer (last seen in "How to Steal a Million"), Joseph Cotten (last seen in "Under Capricorn"), Dame May Whitty (last seen in "Suspicion"), Angela Lansbury (last seen in "Mr. Popper's Penguins").

RATING: 6 out of 10 opera lessons

No comments:

Post a Comment