Monday, October 13, 2014

Dark Victory

Year 6, Day 285 - 10/12/14 - Movie #1,873

BEFORE: The New York Comic-Con is over - I really didn't have any time to watch movies for the last 3 days, I barely had time to come home, shower and get some sleep before it was time to get up early and head out to another day at the Geek Show.  I was completely knackered on Sunday night, but still managed to get through this film without falling asleep too many times. 

Charles Boyer links to Bette Davis (last seen in "The Scapegoat") via "All This, and Heaven Too". 

THE PLOT: A young socialite is diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, and must decide whether she'll meet her final days with dignity.

AFTER: Eh, I'm just not impressed by this one.  Maybe I was just too tired.  Too depressing, too melodramatic.  I'm sure it happens from time to time, but I thought that doctors weren't supposed to fall in love with their patients.  From that point of view, it almost seems like a story cheat, making the doctor and the love interest the same character.  

I guess realizing that one's days are numbered can turn a person from a flighty socialite to a more down-to-earth wife sort, but that hardly seems like a gigantic revelation, just a mere change in character prompted by an outside event.  I suppose you could view this as an earlier version of something like "The Fault In Our Stars", but I haven't seen that yet, so I'm not inclined to.

Since this was made in a different time, there is a lot of on-screen smoking.  Since the main character gets cancer, it's worth noting that there were no warning labels on cigarettes in the U.S. until 1966.

Also starring George Brent, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Humphrey Bogart (last seen in "Casablanca"), Henry Travers (last seen in "Shadow of a Doubt"), Cora Witherspoon.

RATING:  4 out of 10 horse jumps

No comments:

Post a Comment