Friday, January 4, 2013

The Three Musketeers (1935)

Year 5, Day 4 - 1/4/13 - Movie #1,304

BEFORE:  And a fourth version, because there were really four Musketeers, if you count D'Artagnan.  I nabbed this one off of TCM to fill the DVD with the 2011 version.

THE PLOT: The young D'Artagnan arrives in Paris, his heart set on joining the king's Musketeers. He is taken under the wings of three of the most respected and feared Musketeers, Porthos, Aramis, and Athos. Together they fight to save France and the honor of a lady from the machinations of the powerful Cardinal Richelieu.  

AFTER: This was a pretty basic and straight-forward retelling of the now-familiar tale.  Pretty boring by comparison to last night's FX blowout, but hey, it was 1935 and they probably barely had two pixels to rub together back then.  

There's the standard triple-duel challenge, and the standard love triangle between the King, the Queen and the Duke of Buckingham.  There are some generalities about war and plots, but nothing very specific.  It was tough to tell what motivated Richelieu here, or anyone for that matter, but at least there were no crazy impossible inventions. 

I admit I couldn't stay awake at the end, but in my defense, who the heck scheduled Christmas and New Year's Day to fall on Tuesdays this time around?  I had like 6 days off, then had to work on a Friday, then came a weekend, another workday on Monday, then Tuesday off again!  My body now wants to go to sleep at all kinds of weird times.  Plus I've been dealing with what we thought was mild food poisoning but may have really been a stomach flu, so I've barely been eating since Monday morning.  Or maybe the film was just that boring.

Why the heck didn't I hold out for the Gene Kelly version?  I've never even heard of any of these actors...

Starring Walter Abel, Paul Lukas, Moroni Olsen, Onslow Stevens, Heather Angel, Rosamond Pinchot.

RATING: 3 out of 10 gold crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment