Sunday, May 22, 2011

For Queen & Country

Year 3, Day 141 - 5/21/11 - Movie #868

BEFORE: Denzel Washington carries over, as I celebrate Armed Forces Day. Some of those nutjob preachers were predicting the Rapture/End of Times for today - it's good to know I could have switched over to "end of the world" movies like "The Book of Eli", also starring Denzel, if needed, and ended my project. But I'm guessing that the world won't end today, so I'll start up a chain of war films that will carry me through to Memorial Day.


THE PLOT: A retired British soldier struggles to adjust to everyday life, with increasing difficulty.

AFTER: My sleep schedule's still not back to (what passes for) normal, and I've got a cold, and we took the Amtrak up to Massachusetts today to go to my father's birthday dinner - so basically, I'm exhausted. I made it about 1/2 hour into this film before falling asleep in a comfortable chair, then I woke up, switched to my parent's couch, and watched another 1/2 before falling asleep again. The fact that the movie was hard to follow didn't help - but the rules of the project dictate that I must give a film every opportunity to make sense. So, I watched the last hour on Sunday afternoon after returning home.

I still found the film hard to follow, incoherent for the most part, so I'm not taking the full blame. It seems to be devoid of any rational plotline or logical sequence of events, and the thick British accents (including Denzel's phony one) don't help. So, when this happens, I'll just read the plot summary on IMDB or Wikipedia, and move on.

If you can take a film with Denzel Washington as an ex-paratrooper who fought in the Falkland Islands war, and then gets involved in disputes between the cops and gangs in East End of London, more power to you. I failed to see the point of it all.

EDIT: Rapture Update - the date for the Ascension of the Chosen has now been re-scheduled for October 21. Funny thing, that works out perfectly for my planned post-apocalyptic movie chain. So maybe it's for reals this time. Or not. Isn't the point of the Rapture that you're not supposed to see it coming? Isn't there a Bible verse that says you won't know the day or the hour of judgment?

RATING: 2 out of 10 sniper rifles

No comments:

Post a Comment