Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Young Guns II

Day 253 - 9/10/09 - Movie #252

BEFORE: This is the last Western on my list - so I'm done with the whole genre after tonight. I might be interested in the future if some channel runs "Tombstone" or "Wyatt Earp", which I haven't seen, or maybe even that one with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson - but for now they're not on my radar.

THE PLOT: Billy "The Kid" and his gang are wanted by the law, and when "Doc" Scurlock and Chavez are captured, Billy has to save them...

AFTER: In addition to Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips carry over from the first movie, and the vacancies in Billy's gang are filled by Christian Slater, Alan Ruck (Cameron from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and a young Balthazar Getty. William Petersen ("CSI") takes over the role of Pat Garrett, (who had just a quick walk-on in the first movie...) assisted by Viggo Mortensen (a decade before playing Aragorn in "Lord of the Rings").

I'm not sure a sequel was warranted - obviously the story ended with Garrett tracking down Billy the Kid - or did it? The movie's framing device goes so far as to suggest that the Kid survived, and lived in obscurity under another name until 1950 or so, which seems pretty far-fetched.

As does the notion that what Westerns really needed was music by Bon Jovi...

So, now that I'm totally burnt out on watching Western shootouts, I'm dusting myself off, leaving the corral, and riding on back to the Big City...

RATING: 6 out of 10 dime-store novels

No comments:

Post a Comment