Friday, September 11, 2009

Wall Street

Day 253 - 9/10/09 - Movie #253

BEFORE: I'm going as far as I can in the other directions - with a week's worth of films about NYC. Charlie Sheen carries over from "Young Guns" into this one - and Terence Stamp too!

THE PLOT: A young and impatient stockbroker is willing to do anything to get to the top, including trading on illegal inside information taken through a ruthless and greedy corporate raider whom takes the youth under his wing.

AFTER: I don't know - this movie sort of didn't do it for me, maybe because I'm watching it 20 years too late, and it's such a reflection of the late 80's attitude, like how "Greed is good" and insider trading is OK (as long as you don't get caught...), so it's so rooted in its time.

I couldn't follow a lot of the financial mumbo-jumbo...leveraged buyouts and golden parachutes and union concessions...dumb it down, please! And unless I'm wrong - isn't the double-cross pulled on Gordon Gekko at the end virtually identical to the one that Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd pulled on the Duke brothers in "Trading Places"?

Supporting roles filled by John McGinley ("Scrubs"), Josh Mostel, James Spader, Grant Shaud, Tamara Tunie and Saul Rubinek...

RATING: 4 out of 10 stop-loss orders

No comments:

Post a Comment