Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Woodstock 99: Peace Love and Rage

Year 13, Day 208 - 7/27/21 - Movie #3,900-B

BEFORE: This wasn't part of the plan - I just watched this for comparative purposes, to see how much changed between the Woodstock Festival of 1969 and the one in 1999 - a co-worker was talking to me the other day about Woodstock '99, and I saw the listing for this doc on HBO at about the same time, it felt like synchronicity.

And, it turns out, this documentary uses footage of Jimi Hendrix and The Who from the 1969 festival - and footage of Jimi Hendrix is in the film scheduled for tonight, also - so I COULD fit this into my schedule, the question is, though - SHOULD I?

I just found my path to the end of the year, and all 100 slots left in 2021 are spoken for - sure, I could delete one from my plan, some middle film from a three-film chain with the same actor, it could be done.

BESIDES, does this count as a movie, or an episode of MTV's new series, "Music Box"?  Yesterday's documentary on the original Woodstock Festival was part of the PBS series "American Experience", so who can say?  This is movie-length, sure, but is it maybe just a long TV show?  It's a bit like asking if a hot dog is a sandwich - a hamburger is, for sure, but if you define a sandwich as filling between TWO pieces of bread, then a hot dog is not a sandwich.  So it kind of depends which dictionary you read.  

So, here's my compromise - note the numbering above, right now this is film 3900-B.  I know, I know, I'm cheating.  But this is how I get through the year, with a perfect chain of 300 films, I cheat.  If another film in my plan becomes unavailable to me, because it scrolled off of Netflix or disappeared from Hulu, I may be forced to re-work my plan.  It's possible at that point that the new plan could fall one film short, and if that happens, then I'll come back here and re-number this Movie #3,901.  If that's not necessary, I'll just come back here and delete this record.  Yes, I'm a cheater, but at least I admit it. 


AFTER: While I may not count this film at all, I've got a few thoughts about this pre-Fyre Festival festival, which was a breeding ground for rioting, arson, looting, and sexual assault. Maybe most of them are better off left unsaid, but the generation that grew up during the 1990's really seems like THE WORST, and you know who you are.  You can frame this all in the context of white, middle-class ennui or pent-up aggression, post-feminist reactions to the loss of male power, or whatever B.S. you want to cook up.  Bad behavior is bad behavior, and if you find yourself burning down the stage at the festival you bought a ticket for, then you were part of the problem.

If you were one of the acts, like Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock, who fueled that anger and aggression, then screw you, too.  While I'm at it, screw you, Moby, for acting like you're above it all and I'm sorry you didn't get your name on the piece of plywood that listed all of the acts, but if the festival was so terrible, then why the hell did you want your name associated with it?  Screw the festival organizers who thought the event would play out like Woodstock '94 but booked the acts that practically guaranteed it would turn into "Apocalypse Now '99". 

Screw all of the music from the 1990's, while I'm at it.  There hasn't been a decent song written since 1989, and I stand by that.  I don't listen to Korn, Bush, the Offspring, DMX, Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Collective Soul, Megadeth, Creed, Rusted Root or even Jewel, Sheryl Crow or Alanis Morissette. (Everclear does some cool covers, but I don't know any of their original songs.). Screw grunge and death metal and nu metal and screw the Insane Clown Posse and all their juggaloes.  You're part of the reason there was no Woodstock 2019, and you know it.  Screw MTV for covering the event as if they were on the last chopper out of Vietnam, and screw every male douchebag who just wanted to spend his time seeing naked titties and assaulting women.  

Also starring (too many 90's rockers and personalites to include here, but I will list them if it comes to that.  Or this record may vanish, and then I won't have to do all that work.  We'll see. Sure, it would be great to get another appearance in for Dave Grohl, but then I also have to count an appearance for Kurt Cobain - and screw Kurt Cobain.)

RATING: TBD (but probably like a 3 because I'm so utterly disappointed in humanity - proceed at your own risk)

No comments:

Post a Comment