Friday, July 21, 2017

The Angry Birds Movie

Year 9, Day 200 - 7/19/17 - Movie 2,694

BEFORE: And now you see why I had to move "Cars 3" to nearly the end of the Animation raid - tonight Cristela Alonzo carries over to do a voice in this film.  I've made great progress crossing these films off of my list - both my watchlist and my Netflix list, which for the moment remain two separate lists, so I don't lose heart.  (Adding the Netflix films in would nearly DOUBLE my current watchlist, so when I get back from my Comic-Con trip I'm going to work some more on reducing the Netflix list to a more manageable level.)

After I squeeze in this one last film before my trip (and post this probably just before getting into a cab for the airport) I'll have just four animated films left to watch- "Norm of the North", "Despicable Me 3", "Shaun the Sheep" and "Happily N'Ever After 2".  I've got plans to squeeze in the first two of those before the year ends, but the other two are nearly unsinkable - I suppose I could count the animated films that I recently found on Netflix, like "Mulan 2", "Brother Bear 2", "Pocahontas 2" and "Tarzan 2", but honestly those don't feel like they should be high-priority choices.  We'll see.  Maybe next year.


THE PLOT: When an island populated by happy, flightless birds is visited by mysterious green piggies, it's up to three unlikely outcasts - Red, Chuck and Bomb - to figure out what the pigs are up to.

AFTER: I didn't have time to post before I left, so let me get a quick review in from San Diego, so I can move forward from here when I return. This film is just plain nonsense, in fact I think the video game it's based on has a better storyline, and there you merely launch birds at buildings to knock thrm down. To go back and try to explain WHY the birds are angry is quite unnecessary, when it's right there in the title, you could just take it as a given fact and move on. The rest is just window dressing (sending the lead bird to anger management classes, for example) and the jokes just don't land or pay off. I'm only happy to clear this off my list so that I can never speak of it again.

If I think of more to say later I will, now that I know I can post using my phone, but now I've got to take a quick shower and get back to my booth at the convention center.

Also starring the voices of Jason Sudeikis (last seen in "Mother's Day"), Josh Gad (last seen in "Pixels"), Peter Dinklage (ditto), Danny McBride (last heard in "Sausage Party"), Maya Rudolph (last heard in "Strange Magic"), Bill Hader (last heard in "Finding Dory"), Kate McKinnon (ditto), Sean Penn (last seen in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"), Keegan-Michael Key (last heard in "Hotel Transylvania 2"), Tony Hale (last seen in "American Ultra"), Hannibal Buress (last heard in "The Secret Life of Pets"), Ike Barinholtz (last seen in "Suicide Squad"), Titus Burgess, Jillian Bell (last seen in "The Night Before"), Billy Eichner (last seen in "What Happens in Vegas"), Blake Shelton (last seen in "Pitch Perfect 2"), Charli XCX, Geoffrey Arend (last seen in "500 Days of Summer"), Catherine Winder, Alex Borstein (last seen in "A Million Ways to Die in the West"), Max Charles (last heard in "Mr. Peabody & Sherman"), Fergal Reilly, Kevin Bigley, Ali Wong, Aidan McGraw (last seen in "American Sniper"), Fred Tatasciore (last heard in "The Boxtrolls"), John Lasseter.

RATING: 3 out of 10 stolen eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment