Friday, September 26, 2014

Mister Roberts

Year 6, Day 268 - 9/25/14 - Movie #1,859

BEFORE: Well, this was supposed to be my first day working on my screenplay.  My first day in exile, so to speak, spending time at home while I figure out another way to get back into the game.  Really I'm still working three days a week, so I need to develop a new routine at home on the other days that gets me caught up on TV, gets some chores done around the house, gets my comic book collection organized and my screenplay written.  Also I think I'd like to get out and take a walk once in a while, maybe have lunch at a local Spanish restaurant or something.  Today, however, I slept in, logged in some comics, dubbed some cartoons to DVD and generally frittered my time, so I'm not off to a great start.

Linking from "Volunteers", John Candy was also in "JFK" with Jack Lemmon (last seen in "The Legend of Bagger Vance").  I don't know why I don't end up using "JFK" as a connection more often - it's got an eclectic set of actors in the cast, you'd think it would come in handy in linking emergencies.

THE PLOT:  Comedy-drama about life on a not particularly important ship of the US Navy during WW2.

AFTER: This is another film that was quite obviously based on a stage play.  You can tell from the fact that there is much more talking than doing - conveniently the characters are set on a navy supply boat that is removed from the main action of the war.  Also much of the talking takes place in the main character's cabin, which would be quite easy to replicate on stage.  I'd gather with a few other sets, like one for the main deck and perhaps another for a Pacific island, the whole thing's mostly taken care of. 

But the title character longs to see action before the war is over, which almost seems counter-intuitive.  Noble, yes, patriotic, sure - but perhaps ill-advised.  He's constantly putting in for a transfer week after week, and those transfers get denied week after week by the ship's captain, who has a long list of arbitrary and demanding rules for the way that the ship needs to be run - so Mister Roberts rebels in the only ways he can, by disobeying the captain's orders to keep the fresh fruit on board and messing with the captain's prize palm tree. 

In a sense, this is sort of like a low-rent version of "Mutiny on the Bounty".  As second in command of the vessel, Mister Roberts is caught between the captain's outrageous orders, and looking out for the condition and rights of the crewmen under him.  Such is the quandary of being middle management.

Before starting this movie project, I never made a connection before between a naval vessel's crew and a film production crew, but they do have a lot in common.  A film's director is like the captain of a ship, and the producers and assistant director are like the senior crewmen and the first mate.  Then there are lots of minor seamen and production staff who bounce around doing various jobs.  (Another similarity - both will drink whatever alcohol you put in front of them, or barring that, they will make their own.)

I can't help but see my own job situation reflected in Mister Roberts.  I feel like I've mastered the job that I have, but I also feel that I've been at it for much too long.  I could jump ship, but what does that make me - a deserter?  I can put in for a transfer to see more action somewhere else, but that represents an uncertain future.  I could find out that I'm not qualified for another job, so perhaps it's best to stay where I am.  Still, no risk, no reward, and Roberts points out that the unseen enemy in war is boredom, which eventually becomes a faith and, therefore, a terrible form of suicide.

Also starring Henry Fonda (last seen in "The Wrong Man"), James Cagney (last seen in "The Public Enemy"), William Powell (last seen in "How to Marry a Millionaire"), Ward Bond (last seen in "It Happened One Night"), Harey Carey Jr., Patrick Wayne, with a cameo from Martin Milner (last seen in "Dial M for Murder").

RATING: 4 out of 10 binoculars

No comments:

Post a Comment