Friday, September 5, 2014

Clueless

Year 6, Day 248 - 9/5/14 - Movie #1,839

BEFORE: An apt title perhaps, because in a couple weeks I'll be under-employed and I'll have some spare time for the first time in a very LONG time, and I haven't got a clue about how I'm going to fill my days.  Catch up on TV, sure, because I want to finish the summer shows before the new fall season starts.  Catch up on sleep, always a good idea.  And the comic book collection desperate needs to be re-organized.  Then there's the screenplay idea that's been at the back of my brain for so long - I don't know what it will take to make myself work on it every day, but if I can pull it off and write a little bit four days a week, I could have something done in a month or two.  Maybe I can only take it so far before I need to take a refresher screenwriting course or something to get it done the rest of the way - but I'd be showing up for class with a half-done project, and I think that would be better than showing up with nothing more than a rough idea.   This might be my only shot at writing something before I'm forced to job-hunt or start cleaning the house. 

Linking from "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion", Justin Theroux was also in the film "Wanderlust" with Paul Rudd (last seen in "Anchorman 2"). 


THE PLOT:  A rich high school student tries to boost a new pupil's popularity, but reckons without affairs of the heart getting in the way.

AFTER: I've got a similar problem tonight than I had with yesterday's film - the main message of the film seems to be that it's most important for young girls to be attractive, rich and popular, not necessarily in that order.  It's much less important to be smart, hard-working and well-intentioned.  And it's OK to be selfish, vain and superficial as long as you're attractive, rich and popular. 

Yes, it's a comedy.  I GET that.  But in every joke there is an element of truth.  In every satire (and I'm not saying this film is a satire, because I'm not sure it's smart enough to qualify) you have to consider the worst case scenario - what if people don't get the joke, and take the story at face value?  But even suggesting that this film has a second layer of meaning, or poking fun at its characters rather than just portraying them, I think does a disservice by giving the film too much credit. 

This does, however, loosely interpret the events of a Jane Austen novel, "Emma", and I'm forced to admit I'm not familiar with that book at all.  Though I'm planning to watch "Pride and Prejudice" next year, maybe I'll try and work in the film version of "Emma" as well.  So I'm forced to rate "Clueless" on its own merits, and I find it lacking. 

I think what bothers me most about the central character in "Clueless", as well as both Romy and Michele, is the sense of entitlement they represent.  None of these characters feel they need to work hard to get what they want, they can just spend Daddy's money or their boyfriend's riches to make their dreams happen, or buy whatever clothes are in fashion.  I don't get this mindset, I don't live in this world - I never own more than two pairs of pants or one pair of sneakers at a time. 

In addition, Cher from "Clueless" can't even accept the grades on her own report card, so she sets out to "re-negotiate" her grades, using whatever tools she has to charm the individual teachers - again, a very bad message to send out to young girls.  Why can't she just study, or learn how to frame a proper argument in debate class?  And when one teacher won't agree to raise her grade, instead she sets him up with another teacher, which improves his mood and lessens his grading standards.  However well this might work out for the teachers in the long run, this still counts as selfish behavior on Cher's part.  She's doing the right thing, but for the wrong reason. 

But "whatever", I guess, is the mantra - success needs to be achieved through whatever underhanded methods are available, not through honest hard work.  Somehow this matchmaking leads Cher to adopt the practice full time - she's got so much free time because she doesn't study, see - and she also helps transform the gawky new girl into a popular student, who nearly eclipses her.  Another terrible message - don't do a favor for someone else, because that will come back and bite you in the ass. 

The one way the character gets any comeuppance is when she can't pass her driver's test.  This is the ONLY time in the film where lack of studying and ability to learn has any negative repercussions at all.  It's too little, too late if you ask me.  Driving is a privilege, not a right.  You can act as entitled as you want, but if you can't pass that road test, you can't get a license.  In which case it's OK to keep driving with a permit and knocking over your neighbors' flower pots and mailboxes, I guess.

Also starring Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy (last seen in "8 Mile"), Donald Faison (last seen in "Can't Hardly Wait"), Breckin Meyer (ditto), Jeremy Sisto, Dan Hedaya (last seen in "Pacific Heights"), Wallace Shawn (last seen in "Melinda and Melinda"), Twink Caplan, with cameos from Julie Brown, Amy Heckerling.

RATING: 3 out of 10 Galleria stores

No comments:

Post a Comment