Sunday, April 6, 2014

The River

Year 6, Day 96 - 4/6/14 - Movie #1,693

BEFORE: We held the NYC premiere of "Cheatin'" (Movie #1,650) last night at the New York Friars Comedy Film Festival, which programmed it as their closing night film.  Most of the crew was there, and we stood up on stage while the director took questions from the nearly-packed audience.  A good time was had by all, and then I heard they awarded the film a special jury prize - that happened while I was out for post-show ramen with my co-workers.

This film doesn't really fit in with the crime theme, but I'm going to shoehorn this one here with the Mel Gibson connection, to get it off the list - I've got no other place to put it.

THE PLOT:  Farming family battles severe storms, a bank threatening to repossess, and other hard times in a battle to save and hold on to their farm.

AFTER: Turns out I don't care much about the plight of the American farmer.  Does that make me a bad person?  This is one of those black + white moralistic tales where the hard-working farmer is always right, and the corporate shills who represent the agricultural conglomerates are always wrong.  Isn't that a vast over-simplification? 

I'm a city guy, what do I know about agriculture?  Maybe a dam would be the best thing for the entire region - it sure would save everyone a lot of time building levees every time the river overflows, right?  And if farming's not bringing in enough money to feed your family, maybe it is time to sell your land and pack it in.  Why is that money less good, just because it comes from a corporation? 

I'm recusing myself because I just don't know enough about farming to comment constructively.  I just suspect the topic is much more complicated than what's simplistically laid out here.

Also starring Sissy Spacek (last seen in "The Help"), Scott Glenn (last seen in "The Shipping News"), James Tolkan (last seen in "Love and Death")

RATING:  4 out of 10 corncobs

No comments:

Post a Comment