Sunday, March 17, 2013

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Year 5, Day 76 - 3/17/13 - Movie #1,377

BEFORE:  Speaking of 20 years ago, this film was release almost that long ago, in 1994.  I was pretty busy at the time, plus I didn't think much of Jim Carrey's type of humor back then.  To be fair his humor leaned toward the moronic, and he hadn't yet been in big dramatic hits like "The Truman Show" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".   And speaking of Peter Riegert, his appearance in "The Mask" is the link to Jim Carrey (last seen in "Yes Man")


THE PLOT:  A goofy detective specializing in animals goes in search of a missing dolphin mascot of a football team.

AFTER:  OK, now I feel justified in not seeing this film when it was first released - I can sleep better now.  I'm not saying my first feeling about a film is always right, but it's nice when it turns out to be so.

It's a fine framework to allow Carrey to be silly, but outside of that, I really don't see the point.  It's aimed at a 5th grade audience, so it didn't feel like someone was trying hard to make a film that speaks to adults as well.

I've got about 100 NITPICK POINTS, but I'll defer to the IMDB, which lists most of them already.  But how about the fact that a first-string NFL quarterback would never be in a position to hold the ball for a placekicker?  Geez, I know almost nothing about football, but I know that.

NITPICK POINT #2: The Super Bowl looks really low-rent - like they filmed those scenes at a high-school football game or something.  It's only the biggest sporting event of the year, would they really have cheezy red, white and blue decorations, and a simple animal act for the half-time show?

Also starring Courteney Cox (last seen in "The Longest Yard"), Sean Young, Tone Loc, Dan Marino, with appearances by character actors Troy Evans, David Margulies, John Capodice, Mark Margolis and Randall "Tex" Cobb.

RATING: 3 out of 10 championship rings

No comments:

Post a Comment