Thursday, August 16, 2012

Oh, God! Book II

Year 4, Day 229 - 8/16/12 - Movie #1,219

BEFORE: I've been enjoying watching my list get smaller and smaller over the last couple of weeks.  It seems like there weren't a lot of new movies that aired during the Olympics, I guess most of the other channels just gave up - so for me it was a great chance to make some progress.  On top of that, there's been some kind of problem with the cable systemwide in NYC, a sort of digital picture-freeze every three or four minutes.  This has been going on for the last month, since a certain company decided to roll out its new software, apparently without sufficient testing.  At first the problem only affected the basic cable channels, but it eventually spread to the premium movie channels too.  So even if I found a movie to add to my list, I had no way to get a clean copy of it. 

I can only surmise that thousands of people were complaining to this company (whose initials also stand for Transmitting Weakly) about their picture freezing up during the Olympics, and of course the problem got fixed a few days after the closing ceremonies.  Way to go.  Finally I'm seeing some improvement, now if I could just get the buggy DVR software to stop dropping shows and record the ones I want to see, I'll be back in business.

George Burns carries over from last night's film, still playing God...


THE PLOT: God asks a young girl to help spread his word and influence with a slogan.

AFTER: Whatever message or clever ideas about God the first film had, they're absent from the sequel.  It's one thing for God to pick an ordinary, honest man to spread his word, but an 11-year-old girl?  How is THAT going to help?  Sure, her father works in advertising, but that doesn't mean she has any talent for writing copy or staging publicity events.

Her best idea, concocted with a bunch of other rugrats who don't seem to benefit in any way from helping her, is to write their message on signs in store windows, and spray-paint it on the walls of churches and other buildings.  That would be destruction of property, no matter what the message is.  Are you sure that's what God really wants?

 I'm sorry, I'm not seeing any ideas that make sense here, or anything close to a point hat needs making.  Plus God kind of saved the day in a fashion very similar to the way he did it in the previous film.

Also starring Louanne, Suzanne Pleshette, David Birney, with cameos from Hugh Downs, Conrad Janis, Dr. Joyce Brothers, and Wilfrid Hyde-White.

RATING: 2 out of 10 protestors

No comments:

Post a Comment