Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Patton

Year 4, Day 186 - 7/4/12 - Movie #1,183

BEFORE: Maybe I should have watched this one first, since "MacArthur" was made as sort of an answer film to this one - but with the day off, I can watch a longer movie, even if I have to split it into two shifts.  Plus there's that iconic image of George C. Scott (last seen in "Firestarter") giving a speech in front of that giant flag - perfect for July 4, right?  Even if there's some kind of anti-war message in here, it still seems to fit.

Gregory Peck from "MacArthur" was also in "How the West Was Won" with Karl Malden (last seen in "Birdman of Alcatraz") so my luck holds out.


THE PLOT: The World War II phase of the controversial American general's career is depicted.

AFTER: Cross another Oscar-winner for Best Picture off my list - that makes 55.

Again, I'm not a military history kind of guy, so all the information I can get out of a film is good, juicy stuff.  I didn't know about the kind of bad press and backlash Patton got, how it led to the loss of his command, and how he was essentially used as a decoy for parts of World War 2.  The German army supposedly respected and feared him, so if they moved Patton to Egypt, the Germans would assume that he was going to attack Greece, and they'd move more troops there, leaving other areas less protected.

Patton is depicted here as eccentric, to say the least, but also a keen student of military history.  Talking about a previous battle involving Napoleon, say, he'd not only know the details but claim to have been there, at least in spirit.  But take away a general's command, and he'll do just about anything to get it back, including being polite, and even apologize.

He's also portrayed here as someone who didn't know when to shut up, or when to quit.  Maybe he just didn't know HOW to quit.  Once victory over Germany seemed assured, he wanted to start war with the Russians.  Makes an odd bit of sense, I suppose, since we were already there with soldiers and tanks and stuff.  But no, that's crazy, right?  Did Patton see the Cold War coming, or did he just not know how to function as a civilian?

Anyway, the film - at last I get some good battle scenes, not just people standing around pointing at maps and talking strategy.  Though there's plenty of that, too - did people in the 1970's not know the rule about "Show, don't tell"?  Watching a war take place is a lot more exciting than seeing people talking about it.

Also starring Michael Bates, Paul Stevens.

RATING: 6 out of 10 bagpipers

1 comment:

  1. My father loaned this DVD to me a few months ago, and I watched it then for the first time.

    I have heard that there is some sort of part 2 to this, which was a made for TV movie, but I haven't seriously attempted to track it down yet.

    Lately, I finally got around to watching the documentary extras on the Young Indiana Jones DVDs, so I have been stuck in the World War I area for the last two weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete