Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nell

Year 3, Day 159 - 6/8/11 - Movie #886

BEFORE: Liam Neeson week continues - I think he plays another researcher in this one. Doesn't he's always playing some kind of researcher or investigator of some kind? I suppose that's a generalization, sometimes he plays a de-facto father figure like Qui-Gon Jinn or Oskar Schindler, so I guess there are a few acting "grooves" that he likes to fit into.

Sometimes I watch a film to absolve myself of past cinematic sins (sin-ema?). In this case we've got a generally well-respected (?) movie that I probably poked fun at over the years, plus I probably skimmed through this one in the past just to see Jodie Foster in the buff. You know, to add to my comprehensive mental database on female celebrity nude scenes. I think this is a selling point for lots of men, I'm just one of the few willing to admit it. I sure didn't go see Demi Moore in "Striptease" because of the sub-plot on migrant farm workers... Anyway, tonight I atone for my sins by actually putting in the time and watching the film.


THE PLOT: Nell is raised in the remote backwoods of North Carolina with her mother, never having met anyone else. After she's discovered by the local doctor, Nell must confront the outside world.

AFTER: My mistake, Neeson played the local doctor in this one, and the part of the researcher was played by his wife, Natasha Richardson. Though the two characters argue quite a bit about whether Nell belongs in a research hospital or in her isolated home, it's no surprise that a romantic relationship develops, as they spend so much time together observing Nell.

It's hard not to regard this film as an obvious piece of Oscar bait - for an actress to take on a character who is developmentally disabled, who cannot speak properly or understand the modern world. Should I applaud her for taking on an unconventional role, or question her motivation in maybe looking for some recognition from the Academy? (see also: Rain Man, My Left Foot, I Am Sam, Forrest Gump, The King's Speech, etc.)

I admit it's somewhat interesting to see a character who has little concept of the "modern" world - like if you took someone from Colonial times into a big city today, what would they think of cars, elevators, rap music, cable TV? In Nell's case, she's never even heard recorded music, and freaks out when she hears Patsy Cline's "Crazy" - funny, I usually have a similar reaction to that song.

So I'm sort of on the fence on this one - I didn't buy into all the nonsense-language stuff - yes, I understand the film gives us a semi-valid reason behind her lack of English skills, but it still feels like an acting dodge. I just didn't go for all the "chick-a-pay" and "gay-in-ja" crap. Mostly, it toggled between ridiculous and pretentious for me.

However, on a hot night, it's kind of nice to watch a film set out in the backwoods of the Carolinas. The scenery sort of matched the weather, so maybe this is a good summer-oriented film. I plan my movie chain about two months in advance, and maybe it's no coincidence that I've scheduled films like "Red Heat", "The Towering Inferno", "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", and "Reign of Fire"... Something tells me its going to be a long hot summer. (Note to self: track down a copy of "The Long, Hot Summer").

Also starring Jodie Foster (last seen in "Inside Man"), Richard Libertini (last seen in "Going Berserk"), Jeremy Davies (last seen in "Twister").

RATING: 4 out of 10 Bible verses

No comments:

Post a Comment