Friday, March 25, 2011

Metropolis (2001)

Year 3, Day 83 - 3/24/11 - Movie #813

BEFORE: Now, why did I add this film to the list? I hate Japanese animation - even gave it another try last year with "Steamboy", and that didn't work. I think I needed to fill up some space on a DVD with two other animated films, and this fit the bill. And now that it's ON the list, there's only one way to get it off...


THE PLOT: Kenichi and his uncle must find the mystery behind robot girl Tima.

AFTER: Yeah, this is not my thing...The images from the movie hit my eyeballs, but they just don't register in my brain. I couldn't make any sense out of this film - there's something about a giant ziggurat, and a robot girl built to resemble the dead daughter of a Duke. But the Duke's son (who's not really his son, or something) is running around and trying to kill the robot girl...

Meanwhile there's a detective visiting from Japan (so where is this film set, then?) with his nephew, and he's there to arrest a mad scientist, who just happens to be the scientist that built the robot girl, I think...

The uncle and nephew get separated, and the nephew teaches the robot girl how to talk - all while there's an uprising of the human workers against the Duke, and the President uses the situation to arrest the Duke for treason - and this was about where I stopped caring about events.

I had a dream last week (and I so rarely remember my dreams) that I went to the Cannes Film Festival as a judge, and somehow I won a prize there for judging (which makes no sense) and then took the opportunity to visit a zoo or something, and feed a pastrami sandwich to a bear. The bear enjoyed it so much that he broke free from the zoo, and somehow tracked me down in New York, looking for more delicious sandwich meat. And THAT dream made more sense to me than this film.

RATING: 2 out of 10 girders

1 comment:

  1. I can absolutely imagine your dream (well, most of it, maybe not the judging award part of it) being turned into a children's animated film. Japanese animation, of course. I have a vision of the animated bear in my head. I don't know anything about animation, but I can draw, so maybe an illustrated book will have to suffice. Perhaps a whole series, a la Curious George. Pastrami Kuma. (Kuma is Japanese for bear, according to the interwebs.) I'll kick you a few bucks when I get rich off your idea, thanks.

    ReplyDelete