Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another You

Year 3, Day 67 - 3/8/11 - Movie #797

BEFORE: Looks like I've got a new sponsor here at the Movie Year - Cold-Eeze. That's with three "E's" but not in a row. I feel like it turned my potential three-day cold into a one-day cold - 2 Dayquil and some sushi with extra wasabi today, and I feel clear. Not that I'm being compensated in any way, but I'm happy to sing the product's praises.

Gene Wilder carries over from last night's film, and this is his only pairing with Richard Pryor I haven't seen - "Stir Crazy", "Silver Streak", and "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" being the others.


THE PLOT: George has been in a mental hospital for 3 years and is finally ready to go out into the real world again...Eddie Dash, a con-man, is supposed to keep him out of trouble, but when people begin to recognize George as a missing millionaire, Eddie wants to take advantage of the situation.

AFTER: Well, it fits with my theme, since Wilder's character is a compulsive liar, and gets mistaken for a millionaire that he apparently resembles. But what are the chances of that? There's an overly complicated scam going on, but by the time its nature was revealed, I was past the point of caring about it.

Pryor and Wilder were best when their characters worked together, toward some kind of common goal, but here they seem to be at odds with each other just as often. And it's all over the inheritance of a brewery? Why would I watch this confusing mess when I can re-watch "Strange Brew"? Well, I guess I have to watch this to get it off my list, but you don't have to play along at home - please, save yourselves.

Also, lip-synching is bad. Yodeling is bad. Lip-synch yodeling is downright deplorable.

Like too many films here in Year 3, I wish there were more of a point to this movie, but it's just so aimless and misguided.

Also starring Mercedes Ruehl (last seen in "Crazy People"), Stephen Lang (last seen in "The Men Who Stare at Goats"), Vanessa Williams, with cameos from Kevin Pollak (last seen in "That Thing You Do!"), Michael J. Pollard, Vincent Schiavelli (last seen in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"), and Andy Summers (from the band The Police).

RATING: 2 out of 10 beer steins

No comments:

Post a Comment