Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ripley's Game

Year 2, Day 328 - 11/24/10 - Movie #694

BEFORE: As long as I'm confessing my deceptions, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Thanksgiving, since I've avoided my family's traditional gathering for the past few years. But I've got a darn good reason. My parents would usually drive to my aunt and uncle's place upstate, and usually I would meet them there - now anything my family does more than once is considered a long-standing tradition, but this was the Turkey Day locale for me for over 15 years, and though the meal was great, over time the visits became less fun and more dysfunctional. When I finally got tired of my aunt's particular brand of crazy, I found a way out when my wife and I went on a cruise a few years ago for our 5th Anniversary, and wouldn't you know it, it took place over Thanksgiving. I have to say that the Holland America line put on a smashing Thanksgiving Feast, despite being a Dutch Cruise Line run by Canadians, with a largely Filipino complement of chefs - it was a great spin on a traditional American dinner. Anyway, the year after that we learned that they also serve Thanksgiving Dinner in restaurants, so we gave that a whirl, and I haven't been back to my aunt + uncle's house since - I still see them at Christmas anyway.

Checking in again tonight with Tom Ripley - it looks like he grew up to be a spy, so he found a career that makes good use of his skills at deception, forgery and vocal mimicry.


THE PLOT: Tom Ripley persuades a man to commit a murder for a large sum of money. The situation goes out of control, and that man must escape trouble.

AFTER: OK, my bad again. Ripley's not a spy, per se (how was I to know?) he's more like an assassin, but that job seems to draw from pretty much the same skill set, though I bet it pays better.

The "game" mentioned in the title refers to the situation Ripley offers up, suggesting that his old partner hire his neighbor for a job, though the man has no experience in killing, he does have a fatal illness and is probably in need of cash, either to pay his medical bills, or to provide for his family once he's gone. Ripley's ability to read people tells him that the man will probably take the job, and he seems to be curious about how well the man will perform the task, and perhaps how doing so will change him. After all, unlike Ripley, the man does have a conscience.

Ripley is played here by John Malkovich (last seen in "Alive"), and with maturity he seems to have gained an interest in art, along with a steady girlfriend (really?) and a bundle of cash, but some things never change - he still lives in Italian villas and enjoys the high life, fast cars and fine books, and making souffles. Am I buying Malkovich as the older Matt Damon? Yes, I suppose I am.

Also starring Dougray Scott (last seen in "Mission: Impossible II"), Lena Headey (last seen in "The Brothers Grimm"), Ray Winstone (last seen in "The Departed").

RATING: 5 out of 10 train tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment