Thursday, November 18, 2010

The In-Laws

Year 2, Day 322 - 11/18/10 - Movie #688

BEFORE: Back to more foreign intrigue, and the theme of a common man teaming up with an expert spy - in this case, the father of a bride and groom.


THE PLOT: Right before his daughter's wedding, a mild-mannered foot doctor discovers that his daughter's new father-in-law is a rogue CIA agent.

AFTER: I thought about saving this one for Thanksgiving, since I'll be spending the day at my in-laws' in-laws - but I think thematically this fits better here, with "Bad Company" and "I Spy". Just substitute "nuclear submarine" for "nuclear bomb" or "invisible plane", and I can see the similarities.

The experienced spy this time is played by Michael Douglas (last seen in "A Chorus Line") with one of my favorite comic actors, Albert Brooks (last seen in "The Muse"). Of course it's Brooks' neurotic Woody Allen-esque schtick that makes it work, making the confident spy look extremely slick by comparison.

I enjoyed this one, maybe it just seemed much better than "The Man With One Red Shoe", but that's all part of the game. Some of the music cues were a little strange - "Live and Let Die" maybe a little too obvious, and the Badfinger song just seemed out of place. But if that's my only major complaint, that's not too bad.

Also starring Ryan Reynolds (last seen in "Blade: Trinity"), Robin Tunney (last seen in "Niagara, Niagara"), and Candice Bergen.

RATING: 7 out of 10 tranquilizer darts

No comments:

Post a Comment