Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Jaws 2

Year 2, Day 88 - 3/29/10 - Movie #453

BEFORE: I'm glad there was at least 1 shark in last night's film, which makes this transition a little easier. For the record, I don't swim, so I'm not bothered too much by shark attack footage. The sharks and I have an understanding - I don't go into their ocean, and they stay out of my house. So far, the arrangement is working out pretty well.


THE PLOT: Police chief Brody must protect the citizens of Amity after a second monstrous shark begins terrorizing the waters.

AFTER: I may not have to worry about shark attacks, but I've got other threats to my health. In addition to the kidney stones I seem to have inherited from my father, I now have my mother's poor leg circulation to deal with. I did manage to pack on a few pounds this winter, and that doesn't help either condition - I was like a Great White shark myself, gobbling up everything in my path (including a competition-sized sandwich) and as a result, my left leg has become swollen and prone to infection. I had fever and chills last Friday night, and got on some antibiotics Saturday afternoon. My calf still looks like I was the victim of a shark attack myself...and I've put myself in food jail, confining myself to healthier choices until I can get my weight under control.

Anyway, about the film - since it takes place a couple years after "Jaws", I presume it's about how an idyllic seaside community pulls together after a tragedy, and learns to enjoy summer maritime activities again... What? Another shark? Damn, what are the odds?

Roy Scheider, one of my fave actors, carries over from the original film, as Police chief Martin Brody - who has become something of a Captain Ahab, so obsessed with his acquatic adversary that everything looks like a shark attack to him. But just because he's paranoid doesn't mean that he isn't also right - the first attacks are remote, but soon the shark is seen up-close and targets tasty water-skiers and a group of sailing kids that happens to include Brody's 2 sons.

Quibbles: How many spoiled teenagers would a Great White eat before it got full? Those kids are pretty rich, so I'd wager it would only be able to stomach 2 or 3 before calling it a day...

RATING: 5 out of 10 bite-marks

No comments:

Post a Comment