Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Avengers

Day 351 - 12/17/09 - Movie #351

BEFORE: My movie year is winding down - it's 1 week until Christmas, and 2 weeks until New Year's Eve. Now that my heavy war films are over, I'm going to concentrate on comedic spy films, holiday films, and animated animals - so, really, I'm coasting to the end. All I have to do is wrap gifts and stay on track with the numbers. I'm not expecting much from this film, other than to serve as a link to other films coming up - I suppose this week's theme is "Spy movies based on 1960's TV shows".


THE PLOT: Two British agents (John Steed and Emma Peel) team up to stop Sir August De Wynter from destroying the world with a weather changing machine.

AFTER: There actually was some potential here - Uma Thurman, some tight catsuits and thigh-high boots, and lots of double-entendres about "undercover work" and "debriefings"...
Huh? Oh, the plot? (There's a plot?) Silly me, I got a bit sidetracked there. It's something to do with Sean Connery trying to control the weather...I think. It's all very stiff-upper-lip with a lot of silliness, and it's hard to tell whether Steed and Peel are flirting, or just being proper and a bit naughty at the same time.

Did I mention that Uma Thurman wears skin-tight leather suits? Wait, there are TWO Uma Thurmans, one good and one bad? Someone's been tapping into my brain's fantasies again to generate movie plots. But then there's the organization of villains, which requires its members to dress like giant Day-Glo Beanie Baby bears - you know, I don't even want to know why.

There's a nice shout-out to M.C. Escher, with a constantly descending staircase. (For you kids out there, M.C. Escher was a Dutch surrealist artist, not a rapper...) But I can't really find anything else redeeming about this film, except for the aforementioned Ms. Thurman. Talk about carrying a movie...

RATING: 3 out of 10 teacups

No comments:

Post a Comment