Friday, September 25, 2009

Art School Confidential

Day 268 - 9/25/09 - Movie #268

BEFORE: Another film that's been kicking around my must-watch list for quite some time - directed by Terry Zwigoff, who also directed the documentary "Crumb" (note to self: add "Crumb" to list of films to watch...) and based on the comic-book by Daniel Clowes, which I have not read. Also starring John Malkovich, who keeps turning up in my little countdown ("Johnny English", "Beowulf", "Eragon", "Con Air", "In the Line of Fire") as an art teacher.

THE PLOT: Jerome pursues his true obsession to art school. But as he learns how the art world really works, he finds that he must adapt his vision to the reality that confronts him.

AFTER: In terms of characterization, if your movie contains a bunch of clichéd characters - the young virgin, the goth chick, the angry lesbian - even if you acknowledge the presence of these clichés, it doesn't excuse them - your film is still deficient and guilty of relying on shortcuts to introduce your characters.

I didn't go to art school, I went to film school - but I recall what it meant to sit in a classroom and critique other people's films or photos. You can't just come right out and say that something is bad, you have to say something positive, or else you risk getting ripped apart for being too judgmental. And when someone asks you, "What do you think of this art?", when you respond, you HAVE to consider that THEY MIGHT BE THE ARTIST. The main character makes this mistake a few too many times - you figure he'd learn after the first time...

Also, even though it was 20 years ago for me, I remember the feeling of liking a particular girl in college (OK, so I liked every girl in college...) and then going out of my way to be where she was likely to be - pursuing someone only to find out about the boyfriend back home (or down the block...) that she somehow neglected to mention. This went on for about three years, until I finally realized it was getting me nowhere. Only when I got off the crazy treadmill and stopped looking did a real connection finally happen. Make of that what you will.

There's a subplot here about a serial killer, but again, the movie is so filled with stereotypes that it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out who the killer is. If you've ever, like, seen a movie before it's not that hard. But since the film is filled with "tortured artists", I suppose I can forgive some of the characters for not knowing which twisted individual is also a killer.

Also appearing: Ethan Suplee ("Mallrats", "My Name Is Earl"), Steve Buscemi (last seen in "King of New York") and Anjelica Huston. Bonus points for innovative use of Malkovich, but still very predictable, except for a strange twist at the end.

RATING: 6 out of 10 charcoal drawings

No comments:

Post a Comment