Monday, June 15, 2009

Kindergarten Cop

Day 166 - 6/15/09 - Movie #165

BEFORE: Another film that I've seen bits + pieces of, but never watched the whole way through... This will be my last Schwarzenegger film for now, since I don't have a good copy of "Total Recall" (it's running on the Sci-Fi Network, but my rule prohibits watching movies with commercials...) and I'm going to save "Jingle All the Way" for Christmas-time.

THE PLOT: A tough cop is given his most difficult assignment: masquerade as a a kindergarten teacher in order to find a drug dealer's ex-wife.

AFTER: What was that about not working with kids and animals? Ah-nold brings a pet ferret into the classroom, so he actually breaks both rules here. I don't know, this is supposed to be a really funny movie (one of my wife's favorites) but I just wasn't feeling it. I'd heard the funniest lines so many times before ("It's naht a TU-mah!") that they didn't have much impact on me.

It's a great concept - a big tough cop being worn down by a bunch of 6-year olds, but I thought that the montage of a large Austrian bringing order to a classroom of kids, with all the marching, came a little bit too close to some kind of Hitler Youth camp for me. Plus I wish they had given Pamela Reed something else to do except spend half the movie recovering from stomach flu (or was it food poisoning - when she wasn't sick, she was always eating...great stereotyping...)

RATING: 5 out of 10 erasers

Schwarzenegger Week is over - but I'm kicking off Cop Week!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this film several times on cable as a kid, though probably not from beginning to end. Unfortunately, I've seen all the key scenes so many times that I doubt the film has anything left to offer. I'll never know what possessed enough people to watch this (and other Arh-hold comedies) to make it profitable.

    You must have seen Total Recall several times already, so I don't know how it could be considered for the movie year. If not, implore you to track down a copy. Philp K Dick should not be overlooked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen bits of "Total Recall", it didn't seem like a worthy successor to "Blade Runner" at the time. But now I actually might enjoy it. It's running only on commercial-filled TV right now, but if I see it on sale at the $5 DVD place, I might buy it and do a follow-up.

    ReplyDelete