Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Jerk

Day 91 - 4/1/09 - Movie #88

BEFORE: Happy April - the part of the "Fool" this year will be played by Mr. Steve Martin - now I know I've seen this film before, but it was probably 25 years ago, edited for TV - and any adult humor that slipped by the censors was probably over my head. So, I'm bending the rules a little bit to watch this movie for the first time as an adult.

THE PLOT: A complete imbecile struggles to make it through life on his own, until a strange invention makes him unbelievably wealthy.

AFTER: Yes, I have more life experience now, and I get more of the relationship humor - both clean and crude. But I seem to recall this movie being extremely funny, and tonight it just seemed mostly funny - I don't know if I changed, or the world changed, or if humor changed. But it just seems so raw and unfiltered compared to some of Martin's later films like "L.A. Story" and "Bowfinger". Still, for his first film role, it's pretty darn good. Who knew then that he'd end up slumming as Inspector Clouseau in the "Pink Panther" remake? I'm a fan of Steve Martin, but I just don't know if this film has aged well. I did notice that the story structure has a lot in common with parts of "Forrest Gump" - a simpleton comes from a poor Southern family, travels, gets rich, sends money back home to a black family - very different films, ultimately, but with some common elements.

RATING: 7 out of 10 motor oil cans

No comments:

Post a Comment