Sunday, April 12, 2009

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Day 102 - 4/12/09 - Movie #100

BEFORE: Well, for my milestone 100th film of 2009, I wanted a film that is generally regarded as a great classic - what's better than an iconic Western starring Redford and Newman?

THE PLOT: Two Western bank/train robbers flee to Bolivia when the law gets too close.

AFTER: Yes, there is some witty dialogue and interplay between the two stars, but not enough action for my tastes. A couple shootouts, sure, but the first half of the movie is just one long chase scene, which is essentially a very simple story. I'm not seeing this as a "great" Western (I prefer something like "Posse" or "The Long Riders") since the reputations of the outlaws seem to outshine their actual deeds. Also, a good story should have a beginning, middle and end, and this just seemed like one long middle part.

RATING: 5 out of 10 sticks of dynamite.

No comments:

Post a Comment