Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Matrix Reloaded

Day 155 - 6/4/09 - Movie #155

BEFORE: Of course I've seen "The Matrix", but I never followed up and watched its sequels. Since I've seen the world destroyed several times already this week, plus I'm in a robot vibe, and since I just found a new hole-in-the-wall store in Manhattan that's selling loads of older DVDs for $5.99 each, it's a perfect time for this film. These DVDs don't seem to be "previously viewed", they may just be unloading stock before Hi-Def and/or Blu-Ray take over the marketplace. Walking out with a stack of cheap DVDs has helped me clear some films from my want list, but unfortunately at the same time it's increasing my "to watch" list. I better watch one of these DVDs to make sure I didn't just buy a bunch of empty cases...

I don't know why this Matrix sequel didn't do so well - I think it's because the title made it sound like just a re-edit of the original film? I bet if they had just broke down and called it "Matrix 2" it would have done better.

THE PLOT: Neo and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo must decide how he can save Trinity from a dark fate in his dreams.

AFTER: The action sequences are spectacular - but I probably should have re-watched the original film first. I remember that the fights take place in some kind of virtual reality, but that's about where my understanding of the film ends. If the reality we see isn't real, then how do the fights matter? If they're not really "there" and can't be damaged, then why all the punching?

I don't understand all the "rules" of the virtual reality - do people in the matrix represent computer programs? Viruses? Or the humans that are kept alive in those stasis chambers we saw in the first film?

The movie is loud, flashy, and action-packed, but it leaves me wishing I understood more of the "science" in this science-fiction. I'm guessing they worked out the action sequences first, and then made a narrative that would tie them together...

So, is Neo the "One" or not? WTF just happened? Now I have to go to IMDB and read the plot so I can understand the movie I just watched...

RATING: 5 out of 10 tractor-trailers (an average derived from an 8 for technical wizardry and a 2 for an incomprehensible story)

No comments:

Post a Comment