Friday, June 5, 2009

The Matrix Revolutions

Day 156 - 6/5/09 - Movie #156

BEFORE: Well, I passed the written test for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" - which got me a sit-down interview with a contestant selector, who was no doubt judging me not on smarts, but on looks and personality. For me, this is the much more difficult part of the audition. I tried to remember to smile, answer coherently, and be interesting without looking like I was trying to remember to do all those things... Nope, nothing came up on the test relating to any of the movies I've watched so far this year - but I did mention my New Year's resolution, in the hopes that the movie project itself is somewhat interesting.

Let me get this over with as well - I hope this movie clears up the "Matrix" storyline somehow. If ever a film series got bogged down in the weight of its own mythology, it's this one. More complicated than the "Terminator" and "Star Trek" storylines combined... There's the Oracle, the Architect, the Frenchman, the Train Man...and I still don't understand exactly who or what any of them are.

THE PLOT: The human city of Zion defends itself against the massive invasion of the machines as Neo fights to end the war at another front while also opposing the rogue Agent Smith.

AFTER: Well, we finally see the giant techno-battle that kept getting mentioned in the last film - those "diggers" kept getting closer and closer to the city, but never seemed to arrive. I was starting to wonder if they weren't real either... This becomes a tale of triumph and tragedy - yes, the remains of humanity rise up, band together, and attempt to throw off the shackles of their alien robot (?) oppressors, as Neo tries to broker peace between man and machine. The tragedy is, I still haven't the foggiest grasp of the specifics - it all just seems to be beyond comprehension somehow.

And the REAL tragedy is what could have been accomplished with the money that was spent making this movie. Wouldn't humanity have been better off if that money had been put toward finding a cure for some disease, or feeding an African nation for a decade, or sending some inner-city youths to college? What a pointless waste.

RATING: 6 out of 10 Sentinels (again, I'm averaging between a 9 for amazing effects and a 3 for insufficient plot details)

1 comment:

  1. That last statement you made was totally unfair. You may not have liked the movie, but you can certainly make that statement about any big-budget movie. Do movies need to be made for humanity to survive? Definitely not. They're a luxury, for our entertainment and for the movie studios' and actors' pockets. The same statement can be made about sporting events, concerts, etc. It's not fair to single out a rotten movie and make the creators out to be irresponsible because they're not spending their money properly... I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete